Satellite Image of Petra Jordan “A Rose-Red City Half As Old As Time”
IKONOS (1 m) Satellite Image – Petra, Jordan
To view satellite image in full resolution click on image.
(Image Copyright © GeoEye and Courtesy of Satellite Imaging Corporation)
Petra (from the Latin word ‘petrae’, meaning ‘rock’) lies in a great rift valley east of Wadi ‘Araba in Jordan about 80 kilometers south of the Dead Sea. It came into prominence in the late first century BCE (BC) through the success of the spice trade. The city was the principal city of ancient Nabataea and was famous above all for two things: its trade and its hydraulic engineering systems. It was locally autonomous until the reign of Trajan, but it flourished under Roman rule. The town grew up around its Colonnaded Street in the first century CE (AD) and by the mid-first century had witnessed rapid urbanization. Following the flow of the Wadi Musa, the city-center was laid out on either sides of the Colonnaded Street on an elongated plan between the theater in the east and the Qasr al-Bint in the west. The quarries were probably opened in this period, and there followed virtually continuous building through the first and second centuries CE.
According to tradition, in ca. 1200 BCE, the Petra area (but not necessarily the site itself) was populated by Edomites and the area was known as Edom (“red”). Before the Israelite incursions, the Edomites controlled the trade routes from Arabia in the south to Damascus in the north. Little is known about the Edomites at Petra itself, but as a people they were known for their wisdom, their writing, their textile industry, the excellence and fineness of their ceramics, and their skilled metal working. Read more on Petra, Jordan.
On December 6, 1985, Petra was designated a World Heritage Site.
To view a 360 degree panoramic view, visit here.